Select a letter to find a celeb
Name: Tyler James
DOB: 5 January 1982
Birth Place: London, United Kingdom
Claim to fame: Contestant on The Voice
- Tyler’s best friend was the late Amy Winehouse
- Tyler released his debut album The Unlikely Lad in 2005
- His first break into the music industry came when he featured on club classic, Wilder by Stargate in 2001
- Tyler has toured with Natasha Bedingfield and McFly
- He went to the Sylvia Young Theatre School, where a host of celebs have graced the halls throughout the years, including Tamzin Outhwaite, Emma Bunton and Matt Willis
Tyler James has given himself a second chance at fame by auditioning for The Voice this year. The singer had a record deal back in 2005 and the future looked bright; really bright for Tyler. “The British answer to Justin Timberlake” by The Face magazine, while NME hailed him as “one to watch”.
But alas, it wasn’t to be and Tyler was dropped by his record label Island Records after his single Your Woman only got to Number 60 in the charts.
After taking some time out, Tyler decided to jump back on the musical horse when his best friend Amy Winehouse passed away last summer. He says it was the wake-up call he needed.
Tyler sang Otis Reading’s Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay in his blind audition for The Voice. When he hit his falsetto note will.i.am couldn’t resist turning around; securing him a place on his team. In the battle rounds Tyler wowed the audience and his mentor with his take on Chris Brown’s Yeah 3x – not an obvious choice for soul and jazz man Tyler, but he nailed it all the same.
He was a runner up on the show with Bo Bruce, losing out to Leanne Mitchell. Due him reaching the final, his 2005 album, The Unlikely Lad rose to number 6 in the album chart.
In July 2012 he was re-signed by Island Records and is currently working on a new album.