The big Saturday night talent comps rating battle with The Voice and BGT, is really hotting up. But what's in it for the winners? Even with the new format and the amazing judges on The Voice the contestants aren't guaranteed long term stardom.
Take USA season one's winner of The Voice, Javier Colon. He's doing, well, kind of ok. He's tipped as one of the hottest US talents in years, the soul man from Connecticut was mentored to victory by Maroon Five's lead man Adam Levine, claiming the $100,000 prize and contract with Universal Republic.
But his album was outsold by that years runner up Dia Red! It only reached 20 in the US R&B charts. But fair play, he is starting a tour- just maybe not as big as he would have liked!
Talent show triumphs:
• Will Young has made a stunning success of himself. Since winning Pop Idol he has gone platinum and had one of the best-selling albums of the decade. Not only that but he's acted in Skins, written two books and been in films!
• Leona Lewis has topped the US charts and had the fastest selling digital-release in history all after winning the X Factor in 2006. From working in an office to hitting the big time, she managed to break the trend and actually get resigned by her label.
• Alexandra Burke's shot to stardom after her X Factor exploits when she won in 2008. Shows what they know, because she auditioned in 2005 the year Shayne Ward walked away winning. Now she is an established artist who has sold millions of albums including the best selling song of 2009 - Hallelujah.
Talent show failures:
• More people voted for Michelle McManus to win Pop Idol than turned out to vote for Tony Blair in 2003. But she was chucked from her label only two months after its release. Another top ten flounderer, but she's now managed to land a job presenting on STV.
• Joe McElderry won The X Factor in 2009, but has since had to move back to his mother's house (for a few days) after being dropped from Simon Cowell's label only 16 months after winning! Cheryl's home town hero hoped for more but at least he is signed to Universal music now and is working on a new album.
• Jai McDowall lost his contract after winning BGT when his album Believe, only managed 54 in the UK album chart.
So what do you think? Will the contestants on The Voice be superstars or super-flops?